I love this cake – it’s one of the first recipes I ever published and it’s one of my favourites, even now. It’s just so easy to bake, works well as a large cake or cupcakes and it’s great to share with family and friends! It also freezes brilliantly. I’ve since given the recipe a bit of a makeover and added the Thermomix conversion, but whether you make this cake with your thermie, or the good old bowl and spoon, I promise it will be delicious!
400g pumpkin, peeled, chopped coarsely
1 cup (220g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup (140g) dates, chopped coarsely
½ cup (125ml) vegetable oil
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 teaspoon mixed spice
1 teaspoon ginger
2 eggs, beaten lightly
How to – Traditional
1. Steam or microwave the pumpkin until tender; mash. Cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C (160 C fan-forced.) Grease a 20cm round cake tin; line the base and side with baking paper. If making muffins, line 2 patty pans with cupcake cases.
3. Combine the mashed pumpkin with the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested.
4. Serve the cake sliced, spread with butter, if desired.
How to – Thermomix
1. Add 800g water to TM bowl and steam the pumpkin in the varoma dish for 20 minutes on Varoma temperature on speed 1. Cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease a 20cm round cake tin; line the base and side with baking paper. If making muffins, line 2 patty pans with cupcake cases.
3. Chop the dates for 10 seconds on speed 6. Set aside.
4. Chop the cooled pumpkin to TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 4.
5. Add all the other ingredients and the dates and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4. Scrape down sides and mix for another 10 seconds on speed 4.
6. Pour into the prepared cake tin. Check the cake at 50 minutes to see if it is cooked, it may take up to an hour, depending on the oven. If making cupcakes, cook for 15-20 minutes or until cooked when tested.
7. Serve the cake(s) spread with butter, if desired.
Prep and Cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes + cooling (large cake) 30 minutes + cooling (cupcakes)