serves 6 -8
These delicious dumplings are the perfect partner for chicken soup! Don’t eat your soup without them! Alternatively, you can buy a simple packet mix from the Jewish section of any big supermarket.
2 large eggs
2 very slightly rounded tbsp soft margarine or chicken flavoured vegetable fat
5 tbsp lukewarm chicken soup or water
1 teaspoon salt
Speck of white pepper
25g (1oz) ground almonds
125g (4 oz) matzo meal
- Whisk the eggs until fluffy.
- Then stir in all the other ingredients, in the order given, and mix well.
- Chill in the fridge for at least an hour to allow mixture to firm up.
- Half fill a large pan with water, add 2 tsp of salt and bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, take pieces of the mixture the size of a large walnut and roll into balls between wetted palms.
- Drop into the boiling water, then reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for 40 minutes without removing the lid – they will swell as they cook.
- Lift out the cooked dumplings with a slotted spoon.
- When required, heat in simmering chicken soup for at least 10 minutes.
Tip! The dumplings will keep 2 days in fridge or freeze up to 3 months.