Serves 2 -4
Yum! The earthy spiciness of the tomato sauce really works with the softly baked eggs and the creaminess of the fetta.
4 large (880g) vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into large pieces
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon chilli flakes
¼ cup(60ml) extra virgin olive oil
4 pitta bread or flat bread
Extra virgin olive oil, extra
80g Persian fetta cheese
1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the tomatoes, garlic, spices and oil in a medium frying pan. Cover, simmer for about 30 minutes or until the sauce is quite thick. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (160 C fan-forced).
- Break the eggs on top of the hot tomato mixture.
- Bake for about 8 minutes or until the eggs are set as desired.
- Meanwhile, heat bread on a tray in the oven; brush with a little extra olive oil.
- Sprinkle egg mixture with crumbled fetta, parsley leaves and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with warm bread.
Prep and cooking time: 45 minutes
TIP! For this recipe, you need a frying pan that can go into the oven. After cooking the tomato mixture, you can divide the mixture into 2 small pans for 2 individual serves. The tomato mixture can be made a day ahead; reheat until bubbling before adding the eggs.
Reference: The Australian Women’s Weekly Magazine