This is an oldie but a goodie! My mum gave me this lovely recipe. It’s fat-free (unless you count one egg) dairy-free and oh, so simple! It reminds me of malt loaf that we used to get when I was young. It’s the bomb-diggity served with a cup of tea and slathered with butter!
275ml/half pint hot tea
110g/4oz soft brown dark sugar
225g/8oz self raising flour
cinnamon/mixed spice to taste
- Pour tea over fruit and leave overnight.
- Beat sugar and egg together.
- Stir in flour and fruit.
- Add enough of the soaking liquid to make a soft mixture.
- Pour mixture into greased and lined 1 lb loaf tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 180C/160C fan-forced or until cooked through.
- Turn out and cool.
- Cut into slices and spread with butter.
Prep and Cooking time: 1 hour (+ soaking time)
TIP! Use any combination of dried fruits in this recipe. I like to save on time and energy and make double, and pop a spare loaf in the freezer for a rainy day. The bread will keep up to 2 weeks if wrapped in foil/cling film and kept in an airtight container.