I was making this cake long before I had my Thermomix so I’ve given this recipe a bit of a makeover and included the traditional and Thermomix instructions all in the one place! Whether you make it with or without a Thermomix, this cake is super pretty, super light and a super way to upcycle your left over sour cream!
Rind of one orange
110g caster / raw sugar (if using a Thermomix)
110g self-raising flour
50g plain flour
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
125g unsalted butter, melted
85g orange marmalade
60g sour cream
FOR THE SOUR CREAM FROSTING
50g unsalted butter , at room temperature
½ cup (80g) icing sugar
1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
1 tablespoon orange marmalade
How to – Traditional
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease and lightly flour a ring tin.
- Grate orange rind.
- Sift flours into large bowl. Stir in sugar and poppy seeds.
- Mix butter, egg, marmalade, orange rind and sour cream in a jug.
- Add to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon evenly into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To make sour cream frosting, using an electric mixer, cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in sour cream and marmalade until combined. Spread over cooled cake.
How to – Thermomix
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease a ring tin and lightly flour.
- Place orange rind into TM bowl and grate for 10 seconds on speed 8. Scrape down lid and sides of bowl.
- Add sugar and mill for 10 seconds on speed 9.
- Add flours and poppy seeds and mix for 10 seconds on speed 6.
- Add egg, marmalade and sour cream and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4.
- Using a spatula, spread the mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Wait for the cake to become cool and then carefully turn out on to a wire rack.
- To make sour cream frosting, add all the ingredients to the TM bowl and mix for 20 seconds on speed 4 or until combined.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 35 minutes