Gee, I love my slow cooker! And this one pot wonder ticks all the boxes. It’s quick (at least by slow cooker standards) low fat, healthy and needs new accompaniments.
Oh and did I say that the leftovers make a great lunchbox or can be upcycled into a salad the next day? This recipe is easily halved or doubled, so it’s perfect to feed a couple or a crowd.
Just one thing though, harissa paste can vary in strength – s0 make sure you know how strong your paste is before you start. You need to be able to eat the heat!
1-2 tablespoons harissa paste
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
Thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
400g chicken breast, diced
10 dried apricots, halved
200ml hot chicken stock
1 can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
handful coriander , chopped, to serve
- Heat the slow cooker if necessary.
- Loosen the harissa with the olive oil then put in the slow cooker pot with the onion and the ginger. Cover and cook for 1 hour on HIGH until softened.
- Add the chicken, apricots and stock, and cook for 1 more hour on HIGH until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Stir in the chickpeas and couscous with some salt and pepper, cover and set aside for 10 minutes until the couscous is soft. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and sprinkle with coriander.
- Serve with extra harissa, if you like.
Takes 2 ½ hours