Yum! Chicken gets a makeover with this easy crunchy coating with an Oriental dipping sauce on the side. Think Chicken Schnitzel with an Asian twist. It’s simple, it’s healthy and it’s totally delicious!
Serves 4 (easily halved)
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
4 skinless chicken breasts
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons soy sauce
juice 1 lemon
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve (optional)
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap, place on a chopping board and bash with a rolling pin to flatten (very good for stress relief!)
- Mix the breadcrumbs, sesame seeds, five-spice and a little seasoning on a plate. (If you want to make the breadcrumbs and the coating in the Thermomix, see tip below.)
- Pat dry the chicken, dip into the egg, then roll in the breadcrumb mix. Arrange on the baking tray, then bake for 25-30 minutes until crisp and cooked through.
- When the chicken is almost ready. Mix the soy sauce with the citrus juices and sugar to make a dipping sauce.
- Serve the crispy chicken and little dishes of the sauce for dipping, and some extra lime wedges to squeeze over if you like. Serve with some steamed rice and green veggies on the side.
Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
TIP! If you want to make the coating in the Thermomix. Place frozen bread in chunks in Thermomix and blitz for 10 seconds on speed 8. Add the sesame seeds and five spice and mix for 5 seconds on reverse speed 4.