This healthy, low GI brown rice salad is so easy and so delicious.
It’s a great way to use up left over veggies and feed a crowd. When I’m pushed for time, I use frozen veggies but this salad is very forgiving and pretty much anything goes.
Freshly grated carrot, spinach leaves, bean sprouts, and chopped nuts, all make delicious additions to this salad.
If you’re on the low iodine diet, this is a most delicious option just be sure to use non-iodised salt (or skip it all together) use chickpeas instead of beans, and simply dress with lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper!
This salad is delicious whether you eat it hot or cold. It’s great as a veggie main meal and is also a great accompaniment to meat, chicken or fish. Nom, nom!
What veggies would you add to this salad? Do you think you would prefer this hot or cold?
FOR THE SALAD
300g brown rice (organic is best)
1 teaspoon salt
800g mixed vegetables, cubed (for example, carrots, beans, peas, pumpkin and zucchini or a frozen mix)
1 x 400g can chickpeas or mixed beans
FOR THE DRESSING
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
juice of half lemon or lime
- Weigh the water into TM bowl. Insert the steaming basket. Weigh the rice into the basket. Add the salt and wash the rice for 10 seconds on speed 5.
- Place water into TM bowl and insert the basket and rice.
- Cook for 35-45 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2.5.
- When there is 15 minutes remaining, place the vegetables into the Varoma dish then place it in position.
- When the rice and veggies are ready place in a large serving bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Add dressing ingredients into empty TM bowl and mix for 10 seconds on speed 4.
- Stir the dressing through the salad. Serve warm or put the salad in the fridge before serving. Delicious hot or cold.
Prep and Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Pack the varoma dish full of vegetables to bulk out this recipe.