This Meatless Monday I would like to introduce you to the lovely Mila from Russia, who prepared this delicious salad for our International Food Day which was enjoyed by all. This salad is a traditional Russian dish and typically served at New Year. However, I think it merits a place on the menu all year round! It’s the perfect summer supper – serve it up with some dark rye bread. Yumbo!
1 tin of peas
4 medium potatoes
4 medium or 5 large eggs
1 small bunch of dill
5 – 6 pickled cucumbers (gherkins)
1 fresh cucumber
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil, steam or microwave carrots and potatoes and boil the eggs. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Skin the potatoes. Dice the carrots and potatoes into small cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Drain peas and add to bowl.
- Peel eggs and dice the same size as the carrots and potatoes. Add to the bowl.
- Dice the gherkins and add to the bowl.
- Mix everything, season with salt and ground black pepper, to taste. Add mayonnaise and mix everything one more time.
- Just before serving, dice the fresh cucumber into cubes (the same size as the other veggies,) and chop the dill. Add to the bowl.
- Mix one last time and serve. Enjoy!
Preparation and cooking time: 40-50 minutes