Makes 2 medium pies
We’ve been trying to eat a lot more veggies and a lot more pulses and this pie ticks all the boxes. Now, I’m not going to beat around the bush here, this pie is all kinds of soft and all kinds of orange but it’s cheap, easy, yummy and packed with goodness. I adapted this recipe for the dhal, which is delicious as a dish on it’s own, and then smothered the lot with sweet potato mash. It’s a winner dinner, I tell you!
1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
2cm chunk of ginger, sliced
2 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon mild chilli powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
260g red lentils, rinsed
3 large carrots, diced into 1 cm cubes
Ingredients: Sweet potato mash
1kg sweet potato, peeled and chopped into 2cm pieces
How to: Dhal
1. Place ginger and garlic into TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 7. Set aside.
2. Place onion into TM bowl and chop for 3 seconds on speed 5.
3. Scrape down sides, add oil and saute for 2 minutes at 100C on speed 1.
4. Add chopped ginger and garlic and saute for another 2 minutes at 100C on speed 1.
5. Add dry spices and salt and saute for another 1 minute at 100C on speed 1.
6. Add lentils, water and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes at 100C on speed 1.
7. Add carrots, remove the MC from the lid and replace with steamer basket. Cook for 20 minutes at 100C on reverse speed 1.
8. Remove dhal from TM bowl and transfer to a Thermoserver to keep warm while you make the mash.
9. When the mash is ready, transfer the dhal to the pie dishes.
How to: Sweet Potato Mash
1. Peel and chop the sweet potato in 2cm pieces.
2. Add potatoes and 250g milk to TM bowl.
3. Cook for 20 minutes at 100C on speed 1 for 20 minutes.
4. Insert the butterfly, add the butter and mix on speed 4 for 20 seconds.
5. Spread the mash over the dhal mixture and heat under the grill for 5-10 minutes until the top gets a bit crispy.
6. Serve with a side of green veggies. Nom!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 50 minutes
TIP: If you prefer, you can make individual pies rather than two medium ones.