Makes about 15 squares
This super simple recipe is a recipe of my favourite kind. There’s no long list of ingredients and what there is, you can find in the pantry. This recipe requires neither fancy pants equipment nor heaps of time. A bowl and spoon and 35 minutes will more than suffice! The end product is a deliciously fudgey, egg-stremely delicious slice. One square is never enough!
200g raw sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
150g self raising flour
2 heaped teaspoons golden syrup
80g M&Ms crispy eggs
100g butter, melted and slightly cooled
- Heat oven to 180C / 160C fan-forced. Grease a 18cm x 22cm pan and line with baking paper so that the paper just hangs out over the side. (This will make it much easier to remove the slice later!)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the sugar, egg, flour and syrup.
- Add the melted butter and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don’t over mix!
- Press the dough into the prepared pan smoothing the top with a wooden spoon. Gently press the speckled eggs into the top of the slice.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the slice is light golden brown, slightly firm to the touch and starting to pull away from the sides of the pan. Check the slice at the 20 minute mark with a cake tester or skewer – if it comes out covered in batter – it needs more time. If the slice browns too quickly, cover with foil.
- Cut the slice into squares while it is still warm, soft and gooey and allow to cool in the tin.