Donna says that “these pies are for the short-cut cook who expect big results.” These pies are big and beefy and a firm favourite in our house!
2 x sheets store-bought puff pastry, thawed
2 x 125g beef eye fillet or sirloin steaks
Sea salt and cracked black pepper
¼ cup (80g) store-bought tomato relish or caramelised onion relish
1 egg, lightly beaten
Tomato ketchup, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 180C fan-forced.
- Cut the pastry into 2 x 12.5cm rounds for the bases and 2 x 14cm rounds for the tops. I use a metal pie tin as a template for the bottom and a small saucer for the tops
- Heat a frying pan over high heat. Sprinkle the steaks with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute each side or until browned and sealed. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the pastry bases onto baking trays. Top with the steak and the relish. Top with the pastry tops, press edges to seal and brush with egg.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Serve with mash and/or peas and some extra relish or tomato ketchup, if you like.
Reference: Fast, Fresh, Simple, Donna Hay