The End-Oh-Crinologist

It’s official. I’m no longer radioactive. My new “safe” status is a great way to start the day!

I take the Matzah Pudding to work and share it with my workmates. I think everyone must have lost a couple of kilos while I’ve been away so it’s good to get everyone back on the Feeder Programme! It’s a hit! I’m definitely my nana’s granddaughter!

I have a great morning – my students do presentations – and they’re all awesome. It’s an absolute pleasure to go to work. I realise how lucky I am to have a job that I enjoy. I’m also pretty pleased with myself for making it through another working week (albeit lame half days,) without much ado, and more importantly, without many cat yawns!

I don’t know where the afternoon goes, but before I know it, it’s time to go to my Endo appointment. This is a milestone moment because this is my last doctor’s appointment for at least 2 months. As lovely as all my doctors are, it will be good not to see them for a while (and I mean that in the nicest way!) After the shock diagnosis in October,  I have learned not to get too blasé about doctors appointments and the news delivered in them, but similarly, I’ve learned stressing out into orbit beforehand doesn’t really work either. So let’s just say I’m approaching this one with an open mind.

It’s good to get good news. We discuss the results of the hospital scan. Basically the scan is the one time I do light up – even though I don’t get to see it! As I understand it, where ever I light up, there’s Cancer. My Endo confirms Lucien’s “reassuring” news that the hospital scan just shows some take up in the neck, as you would expect, because that’s where my thyroid used to be, and nothing else. This is the best news we could have hoped for. I’m really relieved.

We talk about my weight gain, cat yawning, travel plans and what happens next. I’m going to have a blood test in 2 weeks and then she’ll adjust my Thryoxin dose, if necessary. I definitely feel better than I did but I still feel like my batteries are run down and the pounds are still piling on so it sounds like the meds  do need a bit of fine tuning!

I guess this is a landmark moment. 7 weeks on from diagnosis, I’m done with all my appointments, the treatment, and all with the best possible outcome. It’s a great feeling. It’s the end of the first leg of the journey!

Of course, the journey doesn’t end here, I have to keep on travelling and  there’s a whole heap of things to do, people to see and places to go. I am so looking forward to getting back to “normal,” going back to work, going back to the gym, going out with my friends, going shopping… I’ve been on a big learning curve of late and one thing’s for sure, I won’t be taking anything for granted.

After my appointment, I go back to the city to hang out with my workmates for beer and cheer to celebrate Good News Friday and to bask in my total lack of radioactivity. While we’re there, Chrissy gives me a mini manicure which is a total treat!

Here in Australia, we have an absolutely fabulous brand of gym clothing called Lorna Jane. Check out their website They regularly post motivational mottos on their facebook page and how appropriate is today’s? 1. Move On 2. Laugh 3. Repeat #2 How’s that for some Friday inspiration?!