This quick flat-roasted chicken is so super fast, super easy and super tasty plus it’s low iodine too!
I must confess although I love eating meat, I really don’t love cooking it. The truth is I’m just not very good at it. I have neither the patience or the enthusiasm so more often than not, if I’m going to eat a joint of meat at home, the chances are it’s either Christmas or someone else is cooking it!
This flat roasted chicken has to be the exception though, it’s so easy even I can do it! It takes just a few minutes to prepare and once it’s in the oven, I can kick back and relax and return less than an hour later to a beautifully cooked chook full of flavour. In case you’re wondering, the chilli and lime infuse the chicken so it’s more of a flavourful hint than a spicy assault on your tastebuds. I love how the chilli bits get a little bit charred and crispy, they’re so tasty!
You know what they say, you can take the girl out of England but you can’t take England out of the girl and I still love a Sunday roast although I don’t like all the work that goes with it! This is the Lazy Girl’s answer to a Sunday roast and in fact, when roast chicken is this easy, it makes a winner, winner chicken dinner any day of the week!
Are you good at cooking meat? Are you a fan of the Sunday roast?
4 large red chillies
1 lime, thickly sliced
1 lime, extra, zest grated plus 1 tablespoon lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan-forced. Line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Remove the seeds from, and roughly chop 3 of the chillies. Keep the other one whole. Set aside.
- Place the chicken breast side down on a board. The back should be facing up and the drumsticks pointing towards you. Using kitchen scissors, cut along both sides of the backbone of the chicken, remove it and throw it away.
- Turn the chicken breast side up and press firmly on the breastbone to flatten it. You’ll hear a little crack.
- Place the lime slices and whole chilli in a baking dish lined with baking paper. Place the chicken on top of the lime slices, tucking in the wing tips.
- Combine the rind, juice, chopped chilli and oil and rub over both sides of the chicken. Season with black pepper and bake for about 40-45 minutes or until cooked through.
Prep and cooking time: 55 minutes
Serving suggestion: If you’re up for a full roast dinner, serve with some roast potatoes and steamed veggies but for a lighter option, it goes great with the Quinoa Supergreen Salad.