This smoky chicken dish is a budget friendly, super tasty alternative to pulled pork.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love my slow cooker pulled pork as much as the next person but this recipe is a most delicious and healthy white meat alternative.
Like most slow cooker recipes, this recipe requires minimum prep and delivers a dish with maximum flavour. You’ll have to show great self restraint not to lick the plate clean!
This recipe yields a huge amount which will feed a crowd and please a crowd although left overs freeze fabulously.
The serving possibilities for pulled chicken are almost endless – serve it with rice, in a bun or my personal favourite, with guacamole and jalapenos with some tortillas or tacos. However you serve this, you won’t be disappointed.
Do you enjoy a good slow cooker situation? How would you serve this winner, winner chicken dinner?
2 tablespoons olive oil
10-12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 red onions, halved and sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons chipotle sauce
100g barbecue sauce
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar
juice of 1 lime
- Heat the slow cooker to LOW.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and brown the chicken in batches and place directly in the slow cooker.
- Add the other tablespoon oil to the pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes or until softened. Then add the garlic and the paprika and cook for 1 minute. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add 100ml water to the pan, swirl it around and tip into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir and season well.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours until the chicken is tender and starts to fall apart.
- Don’t worry if the sauce looks runny, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Serve with rice, tacos, tortillas or in burger buns.