Makes 12 large muffins
This is one of the kale-a-licious recipes from Cooking with Kale by Rena Patten, and there was a copy up for grabs in my Birthday Giveaway. The competition has now closed, the prize has been won, but you can still be loving your muffins with this tasty recipe!
The book is jam packed with good stuff, and these muffins are simple, quick and delicious. I know they’re good, because David (AKA he who hates green veggies) loves these, even though he knows there’s kale in them there muffins. They’re light, tasty and perfect served as a light meal with some salad or as a lunchbox delight. Of course, I’ve covered all my bases and included Rena’s original recipe and my Thermomix conversion.
150g ready to use kale or 4 large stalks of kale
1 cup (115g) self-raising flour
160g cheddar cheese
3/4 cup (175g) cottage cheese
5 large eggs
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
How to – Thermomix
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with paper cases.
2. If using kale stalks, wash the kale, remove and discard the entire stalk and finely chop the leaves. If using washed kale
3. Grate the cheddar for 5 seconds on speed 6. Set aside in a medium bowl.
4. Add the zucchini and onion to the TM bowl and chop for 3 seconds on speed 5. Add the zucchini and onion to the cheese mixture.
5. Add the ham. Chop on speed 5 for just 1 second. Set aside with the other chopped ingredients.
6. Add the kale and chop for 1-2 seconds on speed 4. Look through the lid, you want chopped kale, not kale pulp!
7. Add the flour, eggs, olive oil, cottage cheese and all the chopped ingredients to the TM bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix on reverse speed 3 for 20 seconds using the spatula to assist. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl and mix again on reverse speed 3 for 10 seconds.
8. The mixture is quite runny, so use an ice cream scoop to fill the paper cases about 3/4 full.
9. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
How to – conventional method
1. If using kale stalks, wash the kale, remove and discard the entire stalk and finely chop the leaves. If using washed kale, just chop finely.
2. Finely chop the onion. Grate the cheese and zucchini. Set aside.
3. Sift the flour into a large bowl and add the kale, zucchini, onion, cheddar, cottage cheese and stir to combine.
4. Beat the eggs lightly. Add the beaten eggs and the oil to the other ingredients. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
5. Chop the ham and fold in to the mixture.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared muffins cases and bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden and cooked through when tested with a skewer..
Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
TIP! Try a variety of veggies and adding some fresh herbs for added nom!